It is me who go this afternoon

I keep getting this wrong. I say C'est moi qui va cet après-midi instead of C'est moi qui vais cet après-midi.

I think part of the problem is Welsh, where you conjugate the verb with "who" and not with "me". But also I think part of the problem is English, where formal English does one thing and informal another. Consider:

It is I who am going this afternoon - correct I think, but hopelessly formal !
It is me who's going this afternoon - incorrect, but far more common.

How to fix it in French? I am simply going to avoid saying "C'est moi/lui/elle/eux" etc. After all, it's a construction I don't use much in English. I should be able to avoid it in French, and then one day maybe I can reintroduce it and get it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen