Fieldie's taking November off

I just read his entry for Oct 31.

Imagine someone with a sermon outline before him, just about to begin to put it into speakable words of French (hah!) ready to preach this Sunday.

Imagine that person decides to take a break and read his favourite blog.

And imagine he reads this:

A man’s word is a little sound that flies into the air and soon vanishes; but the Word of God is greater than heaven and earth, yea greater than death and hell, for it forms a part of the power of God and endures everlastingly.

and this:

I opposed Indulgences and all the Papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached, and wrote God’s word; otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Philip and Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the Papacy that no prince or emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing; the Word did it all. Had I desired to foment trouble, I could have brought great bloodshed upon Germany; indeed, I could have started such a game that even the emperor would not have been safe, But what would it have been? Mere fool’s play. I did nothing; I let the Word do its work.

Such a person would be glad he took that break, wouldn't he!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahh, indeed the power of God's Word. Didn't Spurgeon say it is like a lion and all we do is let it out and let it do its work? I'm studying the Reformation at the moment and whilst I find the political history boring, learning about the people of God and their love of the Saviour, I find fascinating and challenging. It really does encourage me to search the Scriptures to know God better.
When we read their works too we feel a kinsmanship with them and a family tie.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen