A CRAZY Saturday

I'm not good at lying in bed, so I got up and had a gentle slow breakfast of porage and tea contemplating the chores that await me in the garden and idly looked in my diary...

EEEKKKK! I'm in the bookshop this morning !

There ensued a state of wild alarm, a shower, dressing, the assembling of my various accoutrements and a rapid depart for the faithful number 4.

I arrived just after 10 and opened up. A nice peaceful morning serving sundry folk, sending others to the Barque des Apôtres for the divers paraphernalia of private catholic rite.

I was to be relieved at two. That would leave time to get the supplies for Mrs Davey's pizzas for Sunday and perhaps to do some chores.

Two came and went.

At half past two I called the gentleman who would be relieving me. There was no answer.

At three I called our excellent bookshop manager.
"Ah yes, often he's late."
"Ah no, sometimes he doesn't come at all."

Right. OK. I thought, "Well I'll have to shut the shop and get the supplies and go. I can't stay till 6"

Then a client phoned asking for a particular book.
Yes, we had it in stock.
No, he wasn't in Bordeaux.
No, he didn't live in Bordeaux, but he could come and collect it in, say, an hour.

Thus it was that at 6, after waiting three hours for the client to NOT come, I shut the shop, hurried to get the pizza ingredients and hurtled off home.

In the meantime I had a constant stream of eager customers, so it was a joyful and irritating day - in equal measure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen