At the computermonger

I took my study PC to Surcouf, my favourite computermonger, for them to diagnose the problem.
They're good for that because they can swap parts around and corner the defect.

Anyway I told the chappie what had happened - that it had started with loss of USB ports, then XP would hang on loading, then finally it stopped even doing the BIOS diagnostics. He agreed with me that the motherboard or the power supply were the most likely culprits and so he swapped out the power supply.

Zilch. Not a peep. No attempt to do anything. It's the motherboard.

Because it's slightly aged now, swapping the motherboard would also mean a new processor and new memory, by which time you had just as well buy a new PC.

Bof. But he only charged me 9€. Thanks, chum.

It's not essential to replace the PC straight away. I have my important files on an external hard disk anyway, so I will just wait for a while and see what options there are. Generally something turns up !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen