OK - meetings coming up!

1. UFM Bordeaux team meeting in the course of which our involvement in the work of the student centre will be considered, especially mean Alan's involvement.

2. meeting with Sammy the church pastor/planter to discuss Alan's involvement in the Gironde project.

Essentially my French still needs work. However that can't be done at the DEFLE language school - I have fallen off the end of their classes.

So that means:

a. My language work will have to fit around Pat's timetable at DEFLE.

b. It could take the form of attending lectures in Philosophy or Psychology or Church History or whatever as a "free listener" either at University or at the Big Seminary at Bordeaux or another institution.

Alternatively it could be at some other language school (there are others in Bordeaux - more expensive ones, though!) or working by myself with the various books, CDs and other resources available, while I use the language in the work of the gospel.

Comments

Emmanuel said…
You cold work in a supermarket, that would help I'm sure. When I first went to Cardiff, I worked in a cafe for a year, and that did a lot of good to my English. I have a welsh accent now.
Emmanuel said…
Or you could spend a few hours each week working in La maison de la Bible (as a volonteer). Listening to cds and reading books won't help your french. You must learn everyday French, and for that you must speak with real people. Go to your local Cafe everyday to read the paper and have a coffee...
Alan said…
Don't believe him about the Welsh accent!

Yes - getting something like a café job did occur to me, but I am not sure that option is available to me, but spending some time with the folks at the café is another matter. Once (and assuming) we move to Pessac there will be a few cafés within a walk of our house, and it will be a good way to meet people, too.

The CD and book thing is a "both and", not an "either or". I need to do some more work on conjugation and on grammar because I make mistakes in my written French that you cannot hear in spoken French (wrong verb endings and so on).

Incidentally... I met a chap yesterday who works for Airbus in Toulouse. He said that he had heard that the Welsh accent is one of the hardest to understand. (Who spreads this nonsense?)
I told him, of course, that it isn't true, that the accent in South Wales is the purest in Britain - better than the Queen's accent.

Good to get THAT one straight!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen