les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Monday, September 01, 2014

Recording the messages

For some time I have been thinking that it would be good to record the messages.
Various things have stopped me :

1) the nature of our service.

We're a small group and so when I speak I speak in a conversational tone and not very loudly.
(Just the kind of level that works for radio, however. Radio doesn't adapt to people declaiming.)

2) bilingual.

We do English/French. While this is OK when people can see you, would it work for listening?

3) Where to store the recordings?

Online storage can cost a lot and we don't pay for our website or anything like that.

4) What about all the hassle involved in loading up the files etc?

Wouldn't we need a (shudder) webmaster?

Well I think Dropbox may have just answered questions 3 and 4.

I currently have a free Dropbox account which, by a combination of factors, gives me 55.4GB of space. I find it very useful for storing anything I might need to access from anywhere, especially now my pc has a very small hard disk. 55GB is quite a lot, and I could store several weeks of messages on there.

BUT Dropbox has now announced a plan where you can have 1TB of storage for 10€ a month.

That would be plenty of storage for all the family for quite a long time, plus storage for message files.
And all you'd have to do to put them in a blog, on Facebook, in a website, is put in a link to the audio file, something that's very easy to do in Dropbox.

I'm cogitating...

No comments: