les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Friday, June 13, 2014

That was the week that was !

Well the blog is a bit quiet, isn't it. Let me tell you why.

On Wednesday usually Mrs Davey and I do a stint together at the Maison de la Bible, Bordeaux' excellent city centre Christian bookshop. This week Mrs Davey needed to stay at home with our offspring, so I done the stint alone.

I always enjoy my time in the bookshop. You meet super folks and get a chance to help and advise on reading, on Bible translations, on finding a church, all sorts of things...

My stint would finish at 2, so I arranged two appointments for the afternoon, one at just after two and another at about 3:30. And on the way to the bookshop I popped into Subway and bought a very nice salad for lunch.

On occasions in the past our replacement hasn't arrived to take over from us, but this time I had a very reliable replacement AND the determination to shut the shop at 2 and get to my appointments.

Hah!

My replacement was unwell, but didn't phone to alert us.

No problem, you think. He said he'd shut the shop.

And so I would have done were it not for the customer sat in the window reading a book.

AÏE !

Thanks to the wonders of the smartphone I coud email and apologise for not making the rendezvous and reschedule for a fortnight's time.

My replacement arrived in time for my second appointment, so all ended on a better note.

Yesterday found us at the doctors in the morning, then I offered to replace Pat at the bookshop before going on to another interesting meet-up, this time in a focus group.

No comments: