I'll say this much for my friend, the JW

he's very gracious...

We were about to start reading from where we left off some weeks ago, in John 6. We finished at this : "celui qui croit en moi a la vie éternelle." I noted before we set off that Jesus says "a", not "aura peut-être".

"Well he will if he fulfills the conditions", was the reply.

Yes, "He who believes in me has eternal life", now, Jesus chose the tense, not me.

But what about those who don't.

Jesus says they do.

But they don't.

Jesus says they do. Maybe the problem is what you define as believe...

So off we go.

By the way, how do we translate notitia, assensus and fiducia into French ?
I used connaissance, accord and confiance and went to my favourite example of the chair.

When you see a chair you have to know what it is, then you have to accept that it is what they say it is and that it is designed to take your weight, but then you have to sit on it.

Some friends have an African chair that is just two planks of wood slotted together, and I have the connaissance that it's a chair because they told me. I am in agreement that what they say is true and that it is designed to sit on. However I have yet to summon up sufficient confiance to entrust my frame to its angle.

Well there we are. Next time John 6.

Comments

Emmanuel said…
What about how do you translate notitia, assensus and fiducia in English?
Alan said…
Often people say "knowledge, assent and trust".

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen