Son et lumière, style and substance

In one of the university buildings in Bordeaux is a hidden chapel, generally disused but kept in good repair. We went there once for a lunchtime concert, and it was a very fine experience.

Recently I saw that the chapel was to be open for a show of son et lumière. This is a combination of projected images, typically on the walls and ceiling of the building but sometimes also on the floor, combined with music, either recorded or live.

We have a permanent show at the old Nazi submarine base, and a wonderful show was recently put on at the Cathedral with a live orchestra. I can't remember why we didn't go - timing, perhaps - but we heard good reports of it.

So I pre-registered to be able to buy tickets for this new show in the chapel. Then came the day to book, and the title was announced. Genesis - origins.

I was torn. Doubtless the show would be impressive - I imagined the darkness, the stars, the coalition of the cosmic dust, the primeval soup, the lights, the music.

But what would the show say?

And did it matter?

Part of me said it didn't matter. These shows are spectacles. There to be goggled at and wondered at. Not to be instructed or informed by. It's all about style.

Yes, but the style still carries substance, and what would that substance be? Nihilist? From naught we came; to naught we go, naught are we? Mystical? We are stardust, we are glowing?

I clicked to see what dates were available and at what price.

45€ a seat. Ok, that settles it. I guess I'm just a plain old utilitarian at heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen