Getting my cyst cut out

I thought that since there would be lots of administration to do that I'd go quite early to the hospital, so for my 10 am appointment we walked into reception at about 9:10.

Round to the desk. Identification please - Titre de Séjour - OK, up you go to operating block 1.

Oh.

30 seconds and it was all over.

I'll never get the hang of this.

Anyway it gave time for a quick visit to the toilets.

Pat located the coffee shop for when I was in theatre.

We presented ourselves at block 1.

"Oh, you're quite early. Take a seat and my colleague will call you."

Two other patients arrived and sat beside us. A nurse said that Dr Canard (that's his name) was still in theatre but he'd be with us soon. Then at about 10 she called me in.

Tee-shirt off - hop on the table, face down.

The doctor arrived. Try your head to the left. Try to the right. Try face directly down. Is that OK?

I could breathe. It would be fine. A quick wash with betadine, the placing of the blue paper cover and we were off. About four injections of varying discomfort. Lots of rattling of surgical hardware, then pulling, tugging and the occasional very sharp twinge.

Then the stitches. "There's four", he said.

I took a photo of the cyst - it was about 4cm by 3cm. A good-sized pigeon's egg.

If it gets enflamed or infected come back to see me. Otherwise get a nurse to take out the stitches in a week to ten days. From tomorrow leave it without dressings. Wash in savon de Marseille and dry thoroughly.

I thanked them, apologised for the blood all round the room and left at 10:20.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen