Running

One problem with being a creature of habit and fitting a 6:30 run into your life is that when your life is disrupted in any way - late nights, for example - your habits go out of the window and take your early morning runs with them. I cannot go to bed at 1am and then get up at 6:30 to run. Others may be able to. I cannot.

So for some time I've been intending to add in a 1km loop to my morning circuit. This morning I did it. Hurrah! And what a morning for a run. Light, for the first time this year. A haze over the vineyard. The local rowdy birds yelling their heads off again. Some young lad about 30 - 40 years old running the other way looking all wiry and angular, a proper runner, while I oozed in the opposite direction. But I like to think I encouraged him as he did me as we puffed "bonjour" to each other.

My "fitness band", a Xiaomi Band 2, receives frequent updates to its firmware and to the application on my iphone that goes with it.

One recent update gave it the capacity to track my route, though to be honest I think the birds can track my route now as it's always the same. There's a little rut in the tarmac where I habitually trot.

It also likes to tell me every 100 metres how fast I am running. "You're going dead slow." "You're going even slower." "Wow, are you sure you're not running backwards?"

It also tracks your heart rate.

Now tracking your heart rate is a mixed blessing. I mean how fast should it beat? Is it beating too fast? Do I need to try to run faster? Slower? See a doctor? Have a stent? A by-pass? However at least the wretched thing is beating, and though these wrist-based heart monitors are notoriously inaccurate, it does at least show an increase when I run and a decrease when I stop.

Comments

Duncan (Southend, in case there could be others) said…
Happy anniversary. No wonder you'e running slower/heart is beating faster after that cake! (But at least you are capable of running)

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen