les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Thursday, June 18, 2015

On the complications of garment repair

My best jacket I bought in a Next sale some years ago.
It's really nice. Dark navy-blue wool.
Very chic.
And it has a moth hole on the left sleeve just below the shoulder at the front.

I could really do with getting it repaired somehow.
I can imagine how one might do it, by snipping a small piece of fabric from a seam, for example, and sticking it behind with wonder-webbing, for example.

So this week I called into a shop that does garment repairs, recommended by my friend, Marcel.

Hallo, you do garment repairs.

Yes, let me see. Oh, it's a burn?

No, a moth, I think.

Ah, yes, but for that you don't need a repairer, you need a stoppeuse.

A stoppeuse?

Yes, a stoppeuse. Here's the card of one, but she's only open on Thursdays and Fridays.

I worked it out later - it's someone who will darn it. Oh well - I'll call there tomorrow.


No comments: